Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Acclimatizing

When we first started driving, my sister Feli and I would take turns sitting on the passenger seat, capturing the Big Driving Moments of the other on camera, both stills and videos.

It has been a long time since we’ve done that.
In one of the stories I’ve read about a witch, she was asked whether she needed to remember a lot of spells. She thought about it and replied that it was like making a pot of tea. When you started, you had to think of all the steps and maybe even talk yourself through the steps: take a kettle, put water in, place kettle on the fire… that sort of thing. But once you master the art, you just do it as part of muscle memory or something. It just comes to you naturally.

I really like this analogy.

I can blind type on keyboards I am familiar with. This has come about after years of assisting my father as he brought work home with him and insisted I helped him on the typewriter, and thankfully, later, the computer. People think it is a nifty skill. I rather like it, too. My thumbs are pretty fast on the QWERTY keypads as well, when they came about. But then again, my thumbs were also pretty fast on the pre-QWERTY keypads, when you had to press 2 three times to get a c, for example; remember?

Things become commonplace. We get used to things eventually. The dust settles. Time closes wounds; actually sometimes events cauterize wounds; hurts like a MF but effective. Even heartbreaks end. Neither happiness nor tears last forever. That way lies madness.

And you know what? It is a good thing.










No comments:

Post a Comment

The Trolley Problem

Mose from The Office (US) is played by a man called Michael Schur. You’d never know it from Mose but Schur is a genius storyteller and bril...