Saturday, June 3, 2023

Of Prepaid SIM and Recharge Cards

My mother conversationally told me this morning that last Thursday, she could not call anyone because she didn’t have enough balance. For a few seconds, I didn’t comprehend. So I asked for clarification. And she casually explained that she recharges her SIM card by 2000 rupees with a one year validity. But that recently, she’d used up her minutes so all her system was off.

It took me back to a time when I had this number – 9891569852. It was Hutch, I think. I don’t know who has the number now. I don’t. It was my first mobile phone number. The SIM card of it rested in a sturdy perfect-for-a-horcrux (because nigh indestructible, of course) Nokia 3310. And then later in a Nokia 2100. Those were perfect vessels because I was in high school boarding at the time and was not allowed a phone hence oftentimes, the phone needed to dangle in a polybag outside toilets, perilously hanging off of ventilator locks and bolts. They could not afford to be delicate. And then for college, in a Nokia 3200 which Rose Tyler carried in Doctor Who 2005 reboot as well! Nokia 3200 could play music, was coloured and I could use my own photo as the back cover; made me feel cool as all hell.

Mid-college and a series of phone pranks with Mamu where I was scared straight and learned a particularly vehement Hindi curse word from a guy on the other line, I changed my number to a Vodafone one that I still use to this day. Never indulged in phone pranks again. Then later, I collected another Airtel number. Still have it. I once had a Jio number as well but no more.

Both my Vodafone and Airtel numbers are post-paid now. As a broke student in Delhi, I saw post-paid connections as luxury. U Rinpuii who was a doctor who had her own government living quarters in Defence Colony used to have a post-paid Reliance number; I’d thought she was so rich. Bourgie Broqé Adult Me has post-paid connections. So fancy!

My mother though. She still uses a pre-paid connection! HOW?! I didn’t even know pre-paid connections still existed. I asked her where they even sell scratch cards! My sister said no one sells cards anymore; she just has to pay through GPay. I said ok and nodded. Do you remember those scratch cards? Silver mat that turns to goo once you scratch it off with a coin revealing a number that you communicate to your service provider after some * and # and maybe like 191 or something… Also who uses coins anymore? Feck, the world has changed!

I used to have a Vodafone internet connection that comes prepaid in a dongle. Today I have WiFi at work and office. And the dongle I carry has my Digital Signature that is accepted by banks and the Treasury instead of really slow internet.

I can hear Karen Carpenter in my head cooing: So much has changed…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Art, Artists and Acts of Love

Siamthangi Hauhnar was my Madonna. My sister and I thought she was out of this world. She was edgy. She was cool. She was pretty. She wore d...