Sunday, February 4, 2024

Ka Pa Khuma, The Miller Of Miz(oram)?

The other day, I drove my mum and dad when they wanted to visit people. And dad said: Have you heard of Ka Pa Khuma? I said, yes I have and that I was surprised he had heard of it.

My parents aren’t always With It when it comes to pop culture references. There was a time they would both marvel at Rakhi Sawant and Lady Gaga. When we were really young, they and my uncle and aunt were really into Michael Jackson. Sometimes, they’d know people like Sylvester Stallone (strictly as Rambo), Arnold Schwarzenegger (again, strictly as the Terminator), some WWE superstars and a few other people who really break through their own niche and become mega-stars. Otherwise, even in Mizoram’s tiny celebrity scene, they don’t often know anyone. And any pop culture thing.

Like Ka Pa Khuma.

Dad said: It is a marvellous song and basically the Mizo version of The Miller Of The Dee.

I said: That’s actually very succinct. 

So we played the song and the pair of them listened and moved along to the rhythm in the backseat. When the song ended, they said: Ah, the song is too short, play it again.

Apparently they had requested this of my sisters when they had driven them to Vairengte the week prior. I guess they like the song. Also they met the singer in Vairengte so they thought she sang well, as well. There are not a lot of up and coming new artists they approve of, so this is novel.

However, my neighbour RPi has a different view of the song. According to her, it just promotes a laissez-faire attitude, which often translates to a lazy fair attitude. People should not be so breezy with their responsibilities and their accountabilities. Because the world? It be tough.

I have no huge stakes in the song. I think it is a lovely song. I am happy that new artists in Mizoram are writing songs that aren’t just about people breaking promises and being forever alone. It is a welcome break. And the music itself is new and different. I am forever singing praises of new talent. Do check out their song on YouTube; you won't regret it.

Meanwhile, our other neighbour Pa Mawia is convinced the song, as sung by Mary Dawngi, is called Ka Pa Dawnga.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Trolley Problem

Mose from The Office (US) is played by a man called Michael Schur. You’d never know it from Mose but Schur is a genius storyteller and bril...