Thursday, May 16, 2024

My Two Cents: Exam Results

In days long past, where poplar trees lined the backyard and bread was baked in the campus itself, with home-grown peanut butter served with it within the walls of a brick-layered dining hall… I once watched a lot of Hindi movies. 

I haven’t watched many more since. I watched those movies also because on Saturday nights, the school would show it to us on open air theaters. I didn’t have a choice. Very uncomfortable seats because the seats were basically rock cubes and cement in a mini-arena. But spending summer nights outside was nice, save for mosquitoes but we had Odomos for that. And anything on the big screen was – still is – doubly nice, even when you didn’t understand a majority of the movie. Language problems.

Anyhoo. I only remembered Roorkee movie nights because one child actor Harshaali from a movie called Bajrangi Bhaijaan apparently scored 83% in her CBSE Xth Standard Boards. I saw it on IG on the TOI page. She made a little video thanking her haters on this occasion. The comment section was brutal. It was all basic information every Indian kid knows by heart, that 83% is below average, that people score 100% routinely, that you should stop dancing and study harder, and that unless you get 90% and above, you have nothing to say.

It is a rather dull comfort to know nothing really ever changes. Comfort in the sense of knowing what’s coming, even if you can’t change it. Of course, things do get worse, but you get the idea. I don’t know how many lives will be ruined in an endless cycle of chasing the 100% score dream. In Mizoram context, we don’t push for 100% but dear lord, Letter marks! Top Ten! Topper! Good kid, bravo, now pick up more books and become an IAS or a doctor. Endless cycle.

I hope the new generation of parents would do better than the last in this regard. Common courtesy, basic etiquette, common sense, logical reasoning and empathy can take people far in life in terms of success and/or happiness and you don’t always achieve it with high scores in tests. I wouldn’t advocate dropping studies because I’ve been deeply conditioned to believe in education but I’ve started to re-think even this. My new stand, albeit still shaky, is that vocational skills coupled with basic education, especially financial literacy, is what is important and possibly more productive and attainable for the majority of people. You don’t need to be a Topper for that. You certainly don’t need a cent per cent score.

I really have no clue about the peanut butter though, and you can’t quote me on the bread either, possibly should not take my word as gospel truth about my new stand in education thirdly, but the poplar trees had really been there, in nice straight lines. Very pretty. Roorkee could be incredibly gorgeous in the right light. Unless I imagined the whole thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cassandra

Pobody’s nerfect. And nobody likes the bearer of bad news. So it is only logical that people should hate Cassandra when she delivered accura...