Tuesday, September 17, 2024

I Am The Judge

So they made me a judge. Of a dance contest. Either that or a drama contest. To put this into perspective, I have no experience in either. 

I am a terribly boring person when it comes to the stage. I don’t exactly love it. It is true that I have made my peace with the stage in terms of public speaking. I am not good in it but I have refined my 5 minutes extempore speeches. You learn it in the job. Even then, in terms of statesmanship, I probably am not even a camp site.

Take all these into the equation and the other day, I started musing on judging. Believe me, judging is something I do on the daily. I am not always vocal about it, though, because if I were, I’d have a lot of enemies. You learn to keep quiet as an adult. It’s just survival.

So, judging. A lot of times, people say as Christians, we aren’t supposed to judge. I don’t think that’s entirely true. Jesus never said to not judge. He said: be careful not to judge when you aren’t cleared of the same charge. Judge not, he said, lest you be judged by the same measure. And then he said: be pure like me. So essentially, dont judge sanctimoniously. Much more importantly, don’t be a hypocrite.

But me being me, and not always the most morally upright, I have convinced myself that the loophole here is: if I am not guilty, I can judge. And let’s be honest, if we don’t judge, how is society supposed to function?

In college level Sociology, we talked about crime a lot. We always said crime is that which offends the sensibility of the collective. In itself, a person taking bread from a counter is not a crime. But if that bread was on the counter because someone else was selling it, and the first person hadn’t paid for the bread, it becomes a crime because they’d be offending the generally accepted rule that you have to pay for the bread that the second person was selling. That’s how even when you have killed a person, which is easily the biggest no-no of human actions, if you can prove that you have done it in self-defence, it is not a crime; it does not offend the sensibility of the collective.

It's just nuances. Rules sew the society together. Without rules, we fall apart. Sometimes, the rules are suggestions. There’re layers of it even. Norms. Mores. Guidelines. Regulations. Crimes. Sins, too, maybe? Although that last one is very – almost exclusively – Christian-coded.

So yes, my stand on judging is that if I don’t do the crime, I can judge. And I can even judge mercilessly if I do that only with my sisters and my best friends and I know my judgment and righteous condemnation will not be made public. To my detriment. 

One of my favourite go-to clichés about judging is that if you live in a glass house, you should not throw stones. If you can’t maintain your house, don’t try to expose someone else’s mismanagement of theirs. If you have dirty laundry, don’t air out other people’s. It’s just a rule of thumb. You should not try to make yourself look good by making someone else look bad.

So that being said, seeing as I can neither dance nor act on stage, nor do I know anything about dancing or acting, either amateurly or professionally, I think I’ll just go enjoy the art and award points liberally. Ethically coded, no? Score some brownie points with the Universe, even? No?

1 comment:

Art, Artists and Acts of Love

Siamthangi Hauhnar was my Madonna. My sister and I thought she was out of this world. She was edgy. She was cool. She was pretty. She wore d...