I say FOMO but it’s not exactly a true Fear Of Missing Out as it is a mild inconvenience and negligible irritation. It’s a hassle explaining to people that I do not enjoy sports and even in Harry Potter, I skip over the Quidditch parts; same with Krikkit in Hitchhiker’s Guide. Also when you say you don’t enjoy sports, you don’t come off sounding good. So it’s just easier to sit and watch the World Cup finals.
Which I did, although the match was a little boring and I didn’t stay up for the majority of the second half. Even so, this is a list of what I knew about the 2026 FIFA World Cup:
1. Erling Haaland: Reels.
2. I recognized the following people onscreen at the Finals (aka the only match I saw): Matt Damon, Tom Cruise, Donald and Melania Trump, Madonna, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Shakira, Justin Bieber, the Coldplay guy, BTS, and Messi.
3. The Spanish Goalkeeper lowkey looks like Taylor Swift’s husband.
4. I enjoy both the bouncing little FIFA football emoji that has been active on WhatsApp since the start of the World Cup season, as well as the bouncing regular football emoji when you “like” someone’s WhatsApp status.
5. Mizo memes w.r.t. the season.
6. I never knew a Coach could be Yellow-Card-ed. What happens if you give them a Red?
7. It is Erling Haaland’s first WC; Messi and Ronaldo’s last.
8. A little baby Messi bathed defeated him so this is basically a football version of Harry Potter and Lord Voldemort.
9. Trump ran his mouth against Spain and when Spain won, tried to incorporate himself in their celebration. Shameless. But not the fun shameless like Britney Spears’ Piece of Me lyrics.
10. It is on nights like this that P&E and service providers are probably sweating because so much depends on them because nobody will notice their work to make things happen but will curse them to feckin’ Sheol if the light or the internet gives out. Also, this reminds me how capitalism forces people to find roundabouts instead of taking the government to task so it is in a government’s interest to promote a little capitalism. Case in point, last night: for a bit, the power went out, but most of us had back-up power because this is our roundabout; instead of forcing the government to provide us uninterrupted power, we will prefer to use our own money and buy us the power. Little economics. IDK if you agree.
11. Government of Mizoram, and I think Meghalaya and Kerala – you football states – decided to give their employees a half day. Some people said it was useless since it is not even happening in our turf. But the government can give so little motivation to its employees. Let us enjoy a half-day because of FIFA World Cup 2026.
12. My beagle Mavena did not understand anything but he was super excited to stay up till late at night with everyone in the house and eat from 12 midnight to 3AM because usually he’s not allowed to eat from 6PM onwards.
13. As per everyone, Messi and Ronaldo have toxic fandoms. But I know for a fact that if a fandom is not a little toxic, it’s not worth very much to be in them. Exhibit A: Swifties. Or don’t even get me started on Whovians and Potterheads. All fandoms are a little toxic; they are voluntary In-Groups and Out-Groups. It is what is fun about fandoms. One of my fandoms is where we all pretend to be ants in an ant colony; it is very tame, nothing happens there, and I often forget about it, too. Not one day passes when the internet doesn’t remind me of toxic Swifties. Fandoms are toxic. The slight toxicity is what gives it kick.
Like alcohol, actually!
Cheers!
No comments:
Post a Comment