Sunday, April 23, 2023

The Nile

I actually don’t know anything about the Nile. Nothing substantial anyway. I’ve watched The Mummy because that movie cast is a whole different layer of gorgeous. I’ve read the Bible so I know the Nile was once turned into blood, again something that got worked into The Mummy. Or was it on Prince of Egypt? I don’t know. Something Hollywood.

Kind of funny, no? Old Testament turned water into blood and New Testament turned water into wine. NT is better than OT, I think.

But it’s funny how much we hate wine now. Well, not hate-hate. More like that ‘chef in the kitchen, whore in the bedroom’ fantasy thing. Hate it when you’re in society; love it when in private. Not wine very much, I guess. More like alcohol. A lot of people say, No I don’t drink alcohol – only beer and wine. It’s a whole different level of fantasy, the kind where you lie IRL.

These days we call it gaslighting, I suppose. It’s when someone gets manipulated into doing something, carefully orchestrated by someone else. Anyone could be that someone. A lot of times, we don’t know we are being gaslit. And sometimes, I think we gaslight our own selves. We convince ourselves we are not good enough or conversely, that we are in the right when we are wrong. Basically, denying the reality in favour of the more comfortable lie. Gaslight. We flame out. Very toxic.

It has become a novelty to be principled. It is sadly rare to find someone who lives the truth. Wonko the Sane got it right, I think. Denial has become so ingrained in our lives that it is now something like a tool for survival. In the wilds of society.

Anyway, the Nile is river in Egypt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Trolley Problem

Mose from The Office (US) is played by a man called Michael Schur. You’d never know it from Mose but Schur is a genius storyteller and bril...